Friday, February 11, 2011

Big Dreams, even Bigger God




My greatest desire is to move out of our 2 bedroom townhouse and into a single family ranch with 3 bedrooms, at least 1.5 baths and a nice, big backyard and maybe even a garage. I have had this desire for years now. We bought our townhouse in July 2004 with the expectations of moving within 5 years. It's now going on 7 and we're still here. When we bought this house we had only been married for 1 year and didn't have any kids yet so this place seemed like a mansion to us. We now have 3 kids and are busting at the seams! I keep dreaming of that perfect home for us and then have to get brought back down to reality. In fact, right before Christmas I thought I had found our home. The price was great and in the neighborhood I desire. I even went so far as to have our agent show us the house, which made things even worse because the house was adorable! But did I really want to try and put our house on the market right before Christmas and deal with all that comes along with selling during the busy holiday season? I had a long conversation with my aunt about this and she was able to bring things into perspective for me. We decided the timing wasn't right and we would hold off for another 2 to 3 years. 2 to 3 years?!?!? UGH! I agreed with my husband on this decision, but 2 or 3 more years?


We have tried to move before but the timing has never been right. 3 summers ago we went so far as to move out of our home and deep clean it because we were all set to close and move to North Carolina. We had a house under contract in Wake Forest and Jeff had a good job all lined up. We were excited about going to a new area and raising our family there. After almost 4 weeks of living with my parents and playing the waiting game as to whether our buyer was going to get that final approval (she messed up big time the week of closing), we moved back into our house and canceled the deal on all ends.


Last week I got an email from a local realtor wanting to show our house. She had seen our house on http://www.zillow.com/ . Our house isn't on the market, but there is a make me move option on zillow's website. I mentioned it to Jeff, but we sort of ignored it. Our house isn't even close to being ready to show it to anyone. Yesterday I got a second email from this realtor so now I'm wondering if we should let her show the house and see what happens. This week I started looking at listings online again...on a whim. I know I should not do this and was even reminded of this by my sister. I just am curious to see what's out there right now. Sure enough, that adorable house is still on the market and is even $9,000 cheaper! But I found an even better house in the same neighborhood, just a slightly out of our price range. I mentioned it to Jeff (he laughs at me for desiring this particular neighborhood). I looked at this house again today online and the price has gone down $11,000, which now may possibly be in reach.


I know I'm dreaming big here but doesn't God say He'll give us the desires of our heart? So why not dream big? We've decided that we'll let this realtor show our house to her buyers and if they're serious it'll have to an 'as is' deal. How awesome would it be if this is God selling our house for us when it isn't even on the market? I prayed this morning that if this is God doing this, then He'll make things crystal clear so we'll know this is the right path for us to take. I don't want to jump into something that isn't right or if the timing isn't right. Yeah, I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to get out of the house we're in now and move to that cute little ranch I've been dreaming of - but I would NEVER want to do it if God wasn't in it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Valerie. This is pretty interesting! When are you going to show your house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I called the realtor and that our house really wasn't ready to be shown. I asked her if she had someone interested and she said she didn't know until she 'previewed' it. IDK- I'm not sure what is going to happen. Is she going to come here and try to push us into puting our house up for sale? If that's the case, then now's not the time. I think I'll make an appointment with her and then go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea. She just wants to see what is in the neighborhood, maybe....
    I would not do a ton of work for the appt. She might be fishing?

    ReplyDelete